My Best Films of 2014
The year is finally over, so it’s “Best Of” list time. Unlike last year, I am not limiting the list to 10 (although as of 12/31/14 it stands at that number as coincidence only). Instead, I will offer the list of films that earned either 5 or 4.5 stars, regardless of count; still, there aren’t many of those.
Like last year, however, I offer the following caveat: as of 12/31/14, there are films I have yet to see that could potentially make their way onto an adjusted version this list (based on buzz and/or the general opinion of friends and colleagues). Films like (but not limited to) Selma, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Boyhood, A Most Violent Year, Inherent Vice, several foreign films, and the animated film The Lego Movie either got past me theatrically because of scheduling and/or bandwidth, or are still making their theatrical way around town. By the time awards season arrives I will have seen them all, though. That said, when the Oscars are presented on Sunday, February 22, 2014 is when this list will be truly final. (Review links are indicated parenthetically.
- UPDATE 01/26/15: Three more films have earned a place on my Best Of 2014 List, bringing the total to 13. The most notable addition is Selma, which moves into the #2 spot and becomes only the third film this year to earn from me a full 5-star review (Ida and The Babadook are the other two). A pair of documentaries make it onto the list as well: Kids for Cash at #12 and Virunga at #13, both devastating in their own ways.
- UPDATE 02/22/15: And that’s a wrap. Today is Oscar Sunday and what I consider the close of the 2014 film year. I’ve watched a lot of movies between 1/1/15 and today – 35 to be exact, with half of those screened since my 1/26/15 update above. Of those 18, some I thought might make it came close (Citizenfour) and some didn’t (Boyhood), but none could rise high enough to earn being added to my Best Of list. Below are the thirteen films – of the 184 releases I screened – I consider to be the Best Of 2104.
12. Kids for Cash (review at DVD Verdict)
10. The Better Angels (review at Way Too Indie)
9. Chef (review at DVD Verdict)
8. Like Father Like Son (review at ScribeHard on Film)
7. Under the Skin (review at ScribeHard on Film)
6. Blue Ruin (review at ScribeHard on Film)
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (review at ScribeHard on Film)
4. Whiplash (review at ScribeHard on Film)
3. The Babadook (review at ScribeHard on Film)
1. Ida (review at ScribeHard on Film)