My Top 10 Films of 2013
The year is finally over and while I’ve been keeping a running ranking here since the summer, I haven’t published anything in several weeks in anticipation of this. (I probably won’t do the bi-weekly thing in 2014, but it was a fun exercise throughout this year.)
Below are the films that I think are the ten best for 2013 – films that were released to the public in the United States during the 2013 calendar year. The only caveat I offer is that there are a few films I have yet to see that could potentially make their way onto an adjusted version this list. Films like Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, and the documentary The Act of Killing, are either just making their way to my region of the country or will be available to me on video before the awards season ends and, based on buzz, at least stand a chance. Speaking of awards season, when the Oscars are presented on Sunday, March 2, 2014 is when this list will be truly final.
Most films link to my reviews of them.
- UPDATE 01/08/14: Her earns the #5 spot, knocking Saving Mr. Banks off the list.
- UPDATE 01/15/14: The Hunt earns the #5 spot, knocking Blue Jasmine off the list.
- UPDATE 02/11/14: The Square (doc) earns the #10 spot, knocking Mud off the list.
- UPDATE 02/21/14: The Broken Circle Breakdown earns the #9 spot, knocking The Square off the list.
9. The Broken Circle Breakdown
8. Twenty Feet From Stardom (doc)
5. The Hunt
2. All Is Lost
- RT @ChazEbert: We are lifting up voices that seek to nurture, educate and unite us during Women Writers Week 2017 rogerebert.com/chazs-blog/wel… h… 11 hours ago
- That #SpiderManHomecoming trailer did nothing for me. 11 hours ago
- RT @MikeBeauvais: Excited to reconnect with Lenny Dykstra after all these years during this AMA. https://t.co/mPiMRLSHk3 14 hours ago
- TFW thinkpieces about #Venom and R-rated comic book films can't seem to dig past #Deadpool and #Logan. https://t.co/eYlEtQX9R2 1 day ago
- RT @DeusExCinema: @ScribeHard James Whale did that in Frankenstein! 2 days ago