2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon Day 9: Toshiro Mifune
There was a time that when you mentioned the name of American filmmaker Martin Scorsese, actor Robert De Niro’s name followed (of course, now it’s Leonardo Dicaprio). Mention Tim Burton? Hello Johnny Depp. It was, and still is, the same for Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. The mere mention of his name invokes the name of one of his favorite actors, Toshiro Mifune. The 2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon … and the classic film blogging community … just went foreign film.
Sean, at The Joy and Agony of Movies, gives an in-depth look at The Seven Samurai.
Le from Critica Retro returns with a look at the pairing of Kurosawa and Mifune (and don’t forget to translate the post!).
Joel, from Joel’s Classic Film Passion, offers a YouTube submission where he discusses Rashomon.
Ooh! And Michelle at Criterion Affection submits for the ‘thon a write-up and wonderful illustration of Red Beard.
And El Bicho from Cinema Sentries takes at the Samurai Trilogy Blu-ray set!
- Disappointed I'm unable to join #ValleyGirl live-Tweet tonight. Hope to be here 10/13 for some @tcm #80s love. #AYearWithWomen #TCMParty 4 hours ago
- Somewhere in 2016 I need to work in a watch of, I don't know, all of Jack Nicholson's 91 film appearances. 5 hours ago
- Okay @shudder, you hooked me. Now you gotta keep me. 5 hours ago
- Anybody out there subscribe to horror-specific streaming service Shudder? Is it worth the $4.99/month? 7 hours ago
- RT @hulu: In honor of the late Chantal Akerman, @Criterion has made her films free to stream on Hulu until Wednesday, 10/21. http://t.co/Oi… 13 hours ago