2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon Day 9: Toshiro Mifune
There was a time that when you mentioned the name of American filmmaker Martin Scorsese, actor Robert De Niro’s name followed (of course, now it’s Leonardo Dicaprio). Mention Tim Burton? Hello Johnny Depp. It was, and still is, the same for Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. The mere mention of his name invokes the name of one of his favorite actors, Toshiro Mifune. The 2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon … and the classic film blogging community … just went foreign film.
Sean, at The Joy and Agony of Movies, gives an in-depth look at The Seven Samurai.
Le from Critica Retro returns with a look at the pairing of Kurosawa and Mifune (and don’t forget to translate the post!).
Joel, from Joel’s Classic Film Passion, offers a YouTube submission where he discusses Rashomon.
Ooh! And Michelle at Criterion Affection submits for the ‘thon a write-up and wonderful illustration of Red Beard.
And El Bicho from Cinema Sentries takes at the Samurai Trilogy Blu-ray set!
- #ManFromReno: Glossy retro mystery hints at cliché only to remind you how much better it is than that. Slow-burn leads to sublime ending. 4 hours ago
- Second watch. That damn good. #NowWatching Ayako Fujitani/Pepe Serna/Kazuki Kitamura in Dave Boyle's MAN FROM RENO . http://t.co/vt3c2TpkcX 6 hours ago
- Just signed up for @Sling (via @RokuPlayer). Looking forward to kicking the tires in the coming days. 7 hours ago
- RT @TomiLaffly: The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing Twitter to talk about the #Oscars a couple of weeks after the Oscar… 8 hours ago
- RT @melsil: Who is the brilliant person or persons behind #FilmHerStory? Reveal yourself and accept our love and gratitude. 9 hours ago