2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon Day 9: Toshiro Mifune
There was a time that when you mentioned the name of American filmmaker Martin Scorsese, actor Robert De Niro’s name followed (of course, now it’s Leonardo Dicaprio). Mention Tim Burton? Hello Johnny Depp. It was, and still is, the same for Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. The mere mention of his name invokes the name of one of his favorite actors, Toshiro Mifune. The 2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon … and the classic film blogging community … just went foreign film.
Sean, at The Joy and Agony of Movies, gives an in-depth look at The Seven Samurai.
Le from Critica Retro returns with a look at the pairing of Kurosawa and Mifune (and don’t forget to translate the post!).
Joel, from Joel’s Classic Film Passion, offers a YouTube submission where he discusses Rashomon.
Ooh! And Michelle at Criterion Affection submits for the ‘thon a write-up and wonderful illustration of Red Beard.
And El Bicho from Cinema Sentries takes at the Samurai Trilogy Blu-ray set!
- HOW. How does a (1954) reporter write about the install of the largest movie screen in the area and *not* report dimensions? HOW. #HMTOD 12 hours ago
- Whoa. 1954. #HMTOD https://t.co/EyzfgVohcX 13 hours ago
- RT @FookThis: The Cook, The Beef, His Knife, and his Supper #AllMaleReboots @midnight 13 hours ago
- Now *THAT* is a campaign slogan. twitter.com/alexxkittle/st… 13 hours ago
- RT @BilgeEbiri: Oh, you need to read this. The whole thing. Start here. twitter.com/thewordunheard… 14 hours ago