2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon Day 1: John Wayne
Welcome to DAY ONE the 2012 TCM Summer Under the Stars blogathon! We have a great collection of classic film bloggers to spotlight on this first day, all of whom share a passion for one of the all-time legends, John Wayne. Let’s get started!
First up is Silver Screenings with a look at The Duke in 1945’s They Were Expendable.
Next, our pal Aurora at Once Upon a Screen reflects on why she thinks 1952’s The Quiet Man is Wayne’s best film.
Over at H.P. Oliver‘s place, H.P. shines a very different light on They Were Expendable.
Our good friend Cliff at Immortal Ephemera pulls double Duke duty when he waxes nostalgic about Wayne as the Ringo Kid in 1939’s Stagecoach, and then looks at a press clipping from early in Wayne’s career.
Carrie, with TrueClassics, offers her take on Wayne as the title character in 1963’s McLintock!
Don’t miss the Secret Sanctum of Captain Video, where the Captain showcases a comic book adaptation of Stagecoach.
Jennifer Garlen, on Virtual Virago, offers her thoughts on several of Wayne’s films to be spotlighted on Day One of SUTS.
From Calum Campbell at Manalishi Films comes an analysis of 1956’s The Searchers.
And from R.C., at The Shades of Black and White, comes a personal essay entitled The Duke, My Father, and I.
How’s THAT for Day One?
- Really digging the much-improved UI at @GoWatchIt. 3 hours ago
- RT @LouLumenick: When @BenMank77 calls ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN & SPOTLIGHT only top-tier newspaper movies, Carl Bernstein adds HIS GIRL FRI… 3 hours ago
- "Nothing is ever lost when you're at least writing." twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/… 3 hours ago
- Not #TBT, but more like RetroThursday: '70s-style trailer for the film I want in my head right now - THE NICE GUYS youtube.com/watch?v=WJUES1… 3 hours ago
- Not sure how I feel about a "film recommendation engine." Type in THE MARTIAN and one of 184 ( ! ) other films suggested is TRANSFORMERS. 5 hours ago