2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon Day 9: Toshiro Mifune
There was a time that when you mentioned the name of American filmmaker Martin Scorsese, actor Robert De Niro’s name followed (of course, now it’s Leonardo Dicaprio). Mention Tim Burton? Hello Johnny Depp. It was, and still is, the same for Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. The mere mention of his name invokes the name of one of his favorite actors, Toshiro Mifune. The 2012 tcm SUTS Blogathon … and the classic film blogging community … just went foreign film.
Sean, at The Joy and Agony of Movies, gives an in-depth look at The Seven Samurai.
Le from Critica Retro returns with a look at the pairing of Kurosawa and Mifune (and don’t forget to translate the post!).
Joel, from Joel’s Classic Film Passion, offers a YouTube submission where he discusses Rashomon.
Ooh! And Michelle at Criterion Affection submits for the ‘thon a write-up and wonderful illustration of Red Beard.
And El Bicho from Cinema Sentries takes at the Samurai Trilogy Blu-ray set!
- #SupportIndieFilm MT @IconFilm OUT NOW: Michael C. Hall stars in #ColdInJuly, on DVD/Blu-ray: bit.ly/BuyColdInJuly bit.ly/1s2Dj8B 7 hours ago
- #VideoGamesTheMovie a gamer's cry for attention that feigns interest in its own history and dismisses the history of other pre-gaming media. 17 hours ago
- This is turning funny in all the worst ways. #VideoGamesTheMovie 18 hours ago
- RT @NitrateDiva: Interesting how many of us can identify *the film* that started our love of movies... We sort of imprint on them. 18 hours ago
- Early days of home-grown LAN-based game play. Wonder if anyone's unit was water-cooled. cc @enichols #VideoGamesTheMovie 18 hours ago